Designing a functioning and effective Personal Circuit Board (PCB) is not easy. In fact, you are likely to fail the first couple or more times. The simple reason for this is because a PCB design needs to take into account two major things-
- The purpose of why it is being built (the tech product)
- What functions or features are drawing power from it
While these two aspects might sound simple enough, there is a lot that meets the eye. Without a PCB design and engineering, you are simply going to be left with a lot of glass, metals, fiber, and plastic.
In this article, we are going to point out some important things you need to know about PCB design and engineering. If you are someone that is looking for the best software for PCB-related work, check out SOLIDWORKS Electrical.
List of 3 Important Things you should know before starting the PCB Design process
Looking at the Size of the PCB Board-
Depending on the kind of technical product, you are creating the PCB for, you should get an idea about the size of the board. One of the things that are taught during the Electrical Engineering course is the size of the board and how it should be measured. Make sure you do not have a PCB board that is too big for the design of the product.
Understanding the Different Layers of the PCB-
One of the first things you should know about PCB layers is the fact that more layers mean more complexity. In other words, whenever you go beyond four layers, you are looking at creating a complex product like a smartphone or a smart tv. According to experts, two layers power small and medium toys, while 4 layers are perfect for routers, laptops, and IoT devices.
Paying attention to Manufacturer Design and Requirements-
Whether it is the components of the PCB or the nature of requirements, designers need to pay attention to the guidelines. For example, what is the thickness of the fiber that is required, or, understanding the different weight sizes of the copper that is to be used in the PCB? Choosing the right colors- red, clue, and green are also very important as they serve a meaning.
How to be a Good PCB Designer and Engineer: By Experts
Most PCB designers would be familiar with the three points that we have mentioned in the section above. In this section, we are going to list down some points that can help you become a good PCB designer.
- Basic Knowledge of Electronics Systems- Even if you are not a qualified electronics engineer, you can always learn a lot from digital platforms. There are tons of good resource materials, both in written form as well as on YouTube that can help you.
- Information on the Workings of PCB- Most enthusiasts are crazy about designing and modeling their own PCBs. Bringing something to life with the help of a PCB that fits in the palm of your hands is exciting. You need to have information on PCB.
- Learning PCB Software for Design- Leading PCB designers often take help from complex and advanced software solutions like SOLIDWORKS electricals when it comes to PCB designs. With a host of features and functions, it allows them to work.
- Knowledge of PCB Rules- According to experts, the general rules of PCB are the same as the ones for physics. For example, you need to factor in noise reduction and look after the integrity of the signals, power settings, transmitters, and connections.
- Testing the PCB Circuit for Problems- There is a joke that you never get your PCB right the first time around. This is why experts pay attention to regular testing of the PCB. The more you test, the better are the chances of spotting any mistakes or errors.
The Final Word
In this article, we have tried to look at some of the basics that you need to know about PCB design and engineering. If you want to contribute to the article, by adding some points of value, please feel free to do so in the comments below.