In 2018, there was a skyrocketing number of global data breaches. Many businesses, entrepreneurs, and private persons later became victims of identity theft, account overthrows, and overall losses. If you were a victim of such a breach or want to prevent this from happening, you must understand this matter.
It would help if you communicated about this with an identity verification company to be well-equipped with information that would be useful to you. Here are some of the types of data sources and how identity verification works online, so you can familiarize yourself with them before you talk with an expert:
The Basics of Identity Verification
Identity verification is a process where a person’s identity is ensured. This is because the identity is matched to the identity stored in a database. With this process, businesses will know if they are transacting with the right person, and if that person has the authority to carry out the transactions.
With this, it eliminates fraud and false identities, saving your business from damages or losses.
Types of Data Sources
An identity verification company has to lay down all the types of data sources you can use to confirm one’s claim about who she or he is. Some of the types of data sources are the following:
- Driver’s license – This is a government-issued identification card that has a person’s photo. It is the most common type of identifying a person.
- Passport – This is used by citizens who travel internationally or locally. However, not all people have this type of identification.
- Medicare – This is a healthcare system where one’s information is in place.
- Credit Header Data – Through the law, one can access information through this type of verification. It usually contains a person’s date of birth, name, and address.
- Telephone Numbers – A country’s national phone directory has updated records of phone numbers and names, so it is also one way to verify if a person claims who they are through this method.
- Residential Information – This is the most comprehensive identity verification type because, aside from the name, address, telephone number, and date of birth, e-mail records can also be checked through residential information.
How Identity Verification Works Online
Although you can verify a person’s identity through face-to-face interaction, you can also do it online. The latter type helps you make the verification faster and easier.
An identity verification company has four steps as to how the confirmation takes place online. First, you will access the identity verification services through HTTPS. After this, the identity verification company will receive an authorization token. You must fill in the necessary data so your request will get through.
Next is the validation stage. After you enter the information, it gets cross-checked through the different data sources listed above. You will then receive a result of the scoring, depending on the data sources cross-referenced. If there is a failed search, which is already a red flag, you will get a notification about it and why it failed.
There are many types of making this process come to life. An expert working with an identity verification company must offer you choices on how you want to go about, so you are sure that you and your business are safe from fraud and breaches.
The best identity verification company you could work with should already be trusted and established. They must also meet your specific response times and the level of service you want. It would help if you can choose a company that has the best encryption methods and highly recommended. Identification verification can protect your business, but you have to work with someone who understands your needs. Further, the company with whom you want to entrust your business must make things easier, simpler, and cost-effective.