How to smoothly Run GUI on remote Ubuntu server?
Though running an Ubuntu desktop on a remote server without a graphic card is not a good idea because it is super slow and laggy.
But, if it is the only way around for you to get a specific task done, here is how you can do so:
1. Install and Run Tasksel
- Make sure you have added a secondary user before proceeding
- Update and Upgrade the server through SSH command line console
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt upgrade
- Add required repositories
$ sudo add-apt-repository universe $ sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
- Install Tasksell
$ sudo apt install tasksel
- Run Tasksel to Install ubuntu desktop
$ sudo tasksel
2. Install Anydesk
- Open the console on AWS digital ocean (or whichever hosting service you use which gives Linux command line access) to reboot and then install Anydesk.
$ sudo reboot $ apt-get update $ wget https://download.anydesk.com/linux/anydesk_2.9.5-1_amd64.deb $ dpkg -i anydesk_2.9.5-1_amd64.deb $ apt-get install -f
3. Set Anydesk permissions
- Activate Unattended access in Anydesk settings
- For optimal performance change screen resolution to the lowest (Optional)